We’re so often told that in order to create a life that we love, we have to change how we think. The very act of creating a thought or belief is the beginning of an entire cascade toward creating the very life we live.
The very act of creating a thought or belief is the beginning of an entire cascade toward creating the very life we live.
So you declare your positive affirmations. You proclaim with positivity all of the supporting phrases and beliefs that you want to install. Yet, things don’t seem to change quick enough. Maybe even not at all.
You still find yourself thinking negative thoughts constantly. Your spirals of anxiety or depression keep creeping up. And you wonder what you’re doing wrong. Maybe this won’t work for you?
What You Don’t Know About Changing Your Thoughts
Fear not. You’re feeling that same things that everyone else feels.
You ARE on the right track. There’s just a little bit of tweaking we get to do in order to change your thought patterns hard and fast. So we’ll talk about everything you need to know and understand in order to make it so!
First, there are four sources for your thoughts. FOUR. And knowing exactly what’s going on with each is key to literally changing your thoughts to serve you instead of hinder you.
The First Source of Your Thoughts
The first source of your thoughts is your conscious self. Easy. The thoughts that you are literally choosing to think, speak, and submit to everyday with clear intention.
- When you stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself exactly what you think about what you see. Those are thoughts coming from you.
- When you talk with coworkers or friends about what you think of certain people, places, or things. Those are thoughts coming from you.
- When your child or spouse acts in a way that irritates or frustrates you, and you ask yourself why they can’t just be a certain way? Those are thoughts coming from you.
- As you write in your journal experiences you’re reflecting on … those are thoughts coming from you.
These are the simplest, most understandable source of your thoughts. When you hear motivational speakers mention you need to change your thoughts, THESE are them.
How To Support Your Conscious Thought Creation
Easy enough? You’re likely already doing this. Here are a few ways to further support changing your conscious thoughts into supportive and affirming.
- declare in the mirror the loving beliefs you want about yourself
- journal daily about the positive and enlightening things that happened that day
- when you catch yourself stressed or irritable, find reasons to be grateful right now
- read your positive affirmations daily and write down new ones regularly
This is a lifelong practice. And once you have started choosing uplifting and supportive thoughts, they become easier and easier to choose again and again.
When You Feel Like It’s Not Working
You’ll slip up. You’ll have a day when you just want to be grouchy. You’ll have moments when you feel that writing down those declarations isn’t fully necessary. You’ve been doing this long enough right?
That’s when it begins. A bad habit is never completely gone. It’ll rear it’s head and dag you down as soon as you give an inch. So keep at it.
A bad habit is never completely gone. It’ll rear it’s head and dag you down as soon as you give an inch. So keep at it.
Now you understand the first source of your thoughts: conscious you. And you also know what to do to keep supporting that. Next is the second source of your thoughts.